Bookmark and Share

Monday, September 14, 2009

Water your cracked soul! (Volunteering Part II)



The cracked earth beneath my soul
Cries out in need of my support
Invest in me! Water me! Plant seeds in me!
And I’ll grow crops
Don’t let me wither and be gone…
It cries through me, when I see pain
When I see suffering it calls my name
It says I have a mission here

Yet I am bothered by its cry
Why can’t it be happy with what I have now?
Why does it scratch me every now and then
As if trying to press me to go another way?
Why can’t it be quiet and leave me alone
Undisturbed and self-absorbed, why can’t I be so?
It says it’s not about me…that I am a part of a whole…

The squealing, shrilling voice beneath,
Comes out through every hole, indeed
Through the cracks it travels straight to me

And says – you ARE a part of HUMANITY

Yet, I don’t see what all this means,
After all, around me I see only this:
Crashed/destroyed lives vs. wealthy chaps
Forgotten lives vs. remembered/glamorous lives
People who need vs. such who have much
Displaced vs. those with A mile-long p(a)lace

Isn’t it nature’s order to attempt to balance this mess (the scales)?
Is this a fair and just verdict? I don’t really ask this!

I go on my way, without a concern
For the problems of others,
After all, am I not immune?
Yet, that little voice rising to speak
Is up for some campaigning and debating with me
It shows me my blessings and gives me some time
Until I start feeling a growing emptiness right in the core
I have everything that one really needs
And yet, I feel somewhat Incomplete

Then I start to listen, to hear this voice
And slowly to realize one truth that beats the odds:

I AM A PART OF A WHOLE,
AND I HAVE A CRUCIAL ROLE:
TO MAKE SURE THAT THE SCALES
DON’T LEAN ON ONE SIDE,
WITH NO REGARD FOR THE REST!

So I water the earth, I start planting seeds
And see how in time
It yields rich harvest
Now it’s all different, what I hear in me
It’s a chorus of voices that make my soul leap
A joyous song, a re-MIX of
The transformed lives of those I have reached!

Arise, oh, Human, arise and shine! Let lives be touched by your HumanE role!

You are a crucial part of HUMANITY! Play your role! Be HumanE!

p.s. the photo is from Hannah's facebook profile

No comments: